in Zell am See-Kaprun
Sustainably intact nature is the basis and at the same time the capital of our tourism region. It is important to protect this in the long term, thus giving guests the opportunity to experience and enjoy nature in its original state in the future.
Climate & Energy Model Region
Supported by the Climate and Energy Fund, Zell am See-Kaprun is developing into a model tourism region. The Climate and Energy Model Region (KEM) implementation concept is based on 11 focal points over the next three years. Mobility is a key element of the programme. This means offering guests the opportunity to spend a CO2-free holiday in Zell am See-Kaprun and creating sustainable mobility solutions. Putting regional products and food in the spotlight is another aspiration. Aim is to turn the region into an Eldorado for e-bikes and to increasingly establish itself as a climate and energy conference location. The KEM also has the task of promoting awareness for a climate-neutral destination.
The KEM Region creates awareness about the CO2 footprint of a holiday trip and offers a chance to actively participate in climate protection. With an option to offset, we promote the willingness to actively participate in shaping the climate-neutral future of the region.
Car-free holidays are a good start. But we go one step further: it is public travel that counts. 80% of CO2 emissions of a holiday are caused by the journey to and from the destination. With this measure, we promote arrival and departure by public transport and alternative mobility at the destination.
The region’s businesses should benefit from know-how, information and comprehensive consulting services provided by energy and mobility consultants. If you have questions, a consultant comes to you and conducts informative consultations on all relevant topics.
Solar power and e-mobility are visible signs of commitment to climate protection. The additional support provided to businesses in the KEM Region is particularly interesting.
Those who use alternative forms of energy such as solar power should also say goodbye to old heating systems. The KEM Region provides support in advising and pointing out ecological and economic alternatives to old oil heating systems.
Unbelievable potential lies hidden in the area of waste heat utilisation and mutual utilisation of heat networks. In the KEM Region, unused waste heat is to be utilised and used across companies. Geothermal energy and storage complement the use of waste heat.
Our benchmark are best practice examples, and there are plenty of them in the region: mountain railways, lifts, hotels, ice rink, etc. The know-how of the best should also be available for other projects in order to make the tourism infrastructure climate-friendly in the long term.
Locals and guests sustainably mobile in Zell am See-Kaprun. This is the motto of the e-bike region Zell am See-Kaprun. We all want to say goodbye to traffic jams and long searches for parking spaces in the future; the e-bike region creates sensible mobility alternatives.
Networking, know-how and knowledge transfer - the Zell am See-Kaprun region offers us great conditions for these topics. With events and KEM conferences, we invite other regions, network and learn how to make the future a success.
Communication and awareness raising are essential pillars of the Climate and Energy Model Region. The population is informed and can get a picture of the comprehensive development steps at any time; thus, everyone contributes to the tourism region of tomorrow.
The region of Zell am See-Kaprun boasts a rich treasure of regional products. A regionally organised procurement chain for businesses, gastronomy and the hotel industry raises further awareness of these products. From the region for the region, the closer the better.
environmentally friendly arrival
Good rail services from numerous European cities guarantee a safe, fast and comfortable journey by train. What's more, travelling by train saves CO2. So, get on board, enjoy the scenery and arrive directly in the centre of Zell am See. Thanks to the cooperation with the Austrian Federal Railway, travellers can reach Zell am See-Kaprun quickly, climate-friendly and affordably.
Mobility in summer: Mobility Card
In the summer half-year, guests in Zell am See-Kaprun benefit from a special service: all overnight guests receive the Mobility Card from their first night of their stay in the region. With this card, they can use all public transport in the entire Pinzgau region free of charge from 1 May to 31 October - even on the day of arrival and departure. This means that travelling from the Pinzgau border is not only more environmentally friendly, but also more affordable.
In addition, we have recently increased the frequency of bus and train services in the region. For example, throughout the summer there are also special evening bus services between Zell am See and Kaprun, with which the numerous events and attractions can be reached comfortably car-free even after sunset.
With this service, Zell am See-Kaprun Tourism would like to provide a significant incentive for guests to switch from car to public transport. The advantages: less traffic, improved air quality and reduced CO2 emissions.
Mobility in winter
In the winter months from the end of October to the beginning of May, all ski and public transport buses are included in the Ski ALPIN CARD ski pass in Zell am See-Kaprun. In Kaprun, the bus services within the town are also free of charge for locals and guests during the winter months. Winter sports enthusiasts can also travel to the ski resorts comfortably and easily by using the Pinzgau local railway, as the journey is included in the ski pass.
Switch from diesel to electricity:
The next step in bus transport is electrification. It will begin in the 2021/22 winter season with the Kaprun village bus service D. This is Austria’s first e-ski bus in regular operation acquired by a region. Together with Postbus, the foundations for the e-ski bus have been laid: charging infrastructure, replacement bus and spare parts. Our goal is that soon all bus services in Zell am See-Kaprun will be electric.
Measures taken by the cable cars
Environmental policy of the Schmittenhöhebahn AG
Acting in harmony with nature is clearly a priority for the Schmittenhöhebahn. The scenic beauty of the region is the basis of our daily work. And we can preserve what we love for future generations only if we treat our environment with respect. That is why the Schmittenhöhebahn puts great emphasis on doing pioneering work. And not just in terms of cable car technology, but above all in the area of environmental protection! This includes voluntarily subjecting their business to the stringent requirements of the EU's EMAS guidelines - currently the only cable car company in Europe to do so. In order to be able to guarantee energy-efficient management within the company, Schmittenhöhebahn AG pursues a rigorous environmental policy, the goals of which are consistently monitored and evaluated.
- In the spirit of sustainable energy management, all cable cars operated by Schmittenhöhebahn AG are powered by electricity from 100% renewable sources.
- Increased use of photovoltaic systems
- Increased use of e-mobility on the road and on the pistes
- Use of energy-saving hybrid piste groomers and regular replacement of piste equipment with state-of-the-art technology using the latest drive systems
- Energy and resource efficiency
- Environmental management system, with which the environmentally relevant effects of the operation are analysed
- Monitoring of the defined environmental goals: Environmentally harmful effects of economic activities are continuously minimised.
- Transparency: Schmittenhöhebahn AG informs the public about environmental activities and the results achieved.
- Internal environmental team as well as external experts on the ecology advisory board and in ecological building supervision
- Air and noise emissions are kept as low as possible - both in piste grooming and snowmaking and for navigation of boat services on Lake Zell
- Heating of the buildings and stations partly with heat pumps
- Animal welfare: Schmittenhöhebahn AG has been supporting the Salzburg state government's "Respect Your Boundaries" campaign since 2007, which aims to raise awareness among skiers and provide easily accessible information about the important needs of flora and fauna.
- Arrival and departure of guests: Very well developed, regional ski bus network as well as services to the Pinzgau regional railway incl. railway stop have been created on the initiative and with substantial financial participation of the Schmittenhöhebahn AG.
- With the climate-friendly fuel based on natural gas for the boat fleet, the Schmittenhöhebahn AG sustainably reduces the emission of environmentally harmful substances: fewer local emissions, low noise & smoke development
- Regionality in the huts and restaurants with regional ingredients, in part directly from the mountain such as local mountain herbs
Environmental policy of Gletscherbahnen Kaprun AG
Sustainable and responsible planning, action and management in all areas of the company are the basis for the success of Gletscherbahnen Kaprun AG. To ensure this, an integrated quality, environmental and energy management system has been implemented for several years. Fair, active partnerships with tourism partners, regional and international businesses, agriculture, schools, sports clubs, cultural associations and the Hohe Tauern National Park are the hallmarks of the company.
The entire company - all cable cars, lifts and restaurants - is supplied with 100% green electricity.
Since 2012, there has been an open-end partnership agreement between Gletscherbahnen Kaprun AG and the Hohe Tauern National Park. This is about the mutual transfer of knowledge as well as raising awareness and sensitisation for the national park idea at a location with high international frequency.
Gletscherbahnen Kaprun AG has been certified for its environmental management according to ISO 14001 since 2007.
Within the framework of energy management according to ISO 50001, the energy and resource balance is permanently checked and optimised with different series of measurements and processes by internal company representatives and annually by TÜV Nord.
"Snow in winter - electricity in summer": The Kitzsteinhorn, as one of the first alpine ski resorts, operates a combined pumped and small hydroelectric power plant, which is used for the snowmaking systems in winter and as a power plant turbine in summer, using the meltwater to produce electricity. This generates a large part of the energy needed for snowmaking in winter.
The waste heat from the high-performance motors of individual cable cars is used for building heating.
The buildings have been equipped according to the latest energy efficiency standards and in part with solar and photovoltaic systems.
Gletscherbahnen Kaprun AG has been committed to implementing and continuously monitoring the high quality and safety standards according to ISO 9001 with an integrated management system since 2003.
There are in-house officers for the environment, waste, water and wastewater management, fire protection and occupational safety.
Salzburg Institute for Ecology as consultant for all planning and construction projects
Together with the renowned natural environment experts, an individual high-altitude area recultivation and revegetation project has been developed and implemented for the Kitzsteinhorn.
Specific "snow farming and management" protects the glacier.
2011 pro natura Award
Regionality and social responsibility: In the company's own mountain restaurants and bars, a large proportion of local products are freshly prepared and served. Projects with regional schools are carried out in addition.
Open Air Lab Kitzsteinhorn: Since 2010, the summit area of the 3,203-metre-high Kitzsteinhorn has been the location of an interdisciplinary open-air laboratory for permafrost and rockfall monitoring.
Electricity from hydropower
Sustainability is at the core of the mission statement of VERBUND, Austria's leading electricity company. The focus is on customised, sustainable electricity products and energy-related services for the efficient use of energy for responsible customers. VERBUND is shaping the energy future with innovative solutions - from the expansion of electromobility to the further development of flexible storage technologies. The sustainability measures are evaluated by experts on a regular basis and published transparently on an annual basis.
- Electricity generation without emissions: The generation of electricity from hydropower and wind power is free of direct emissions. VERBUND customers actively contribute to the avoidance of CO2 emissions and thus to the SDG 13 "Climate protection measures". A total of 508,829 tons of CO2 can be avoided in this way (source: ENTSO-E Generation 2017).
- The Kaprun main stage power plant supplies 122,388 households.
- Electricity generation from water forms the basis for VERBUND's sustainable success as one of the largest hydropower producers in Europe. More than 90% of VERBUND's electricity comes from climate-friendly hydropower.
- The generation portfolio is complemented by wind power and highly efficient thermal plants for electricity generation and heat production. In the long term, 100% CO2-free electricity generation shall become a reality. The mission is to energise the future with clean electricity and innovative solutions.
- The company's goal is to use hydropower as efficiently as possible and to preserve the quality of our valuable resource - water - through technical and organisational measures.
- Systematic environmental management: In its environmental mission statement, VERBUND commits itself to a responsible approach to nature. Environmentally friendly behaviour is promoted and required within the company as well as from suppliers, partners and customers.
- The VERBUND Electricity Academy offers interactive and exciting physics lessons for the next generation, including a visit to the power plant.
- As a major supporter of the cultural environments and habitats on the upper and middle River Salzach, VERBUND sees the protection and preservation of the environment, also for future generations, as the highest responsibility in dealing with the eco-system.
- Reliable supply thanks to hydropower: VERBUND covers the necessary demand for renewable base load with our domestic run-of-river power plants. Unlike hydropower plants, wind power and photovoltaic plants cannot generate electricity consistently and reliably.
- Environmental management systems in accordance with ISO 14001 have been implemented at generation sites and grid facilities as well as at the large administrative sites. These are assessed and certified by external auditors.
- Protecting plants and creatures: VERBUND implements numerous measures to minimise the impact on plants, animals and people during the construction phase and during the operation of the power plant facilities. Existing ecologically valuable areas are taken into account and investments are made in projects that protect or improve the biodiversity of fauna and flora. In this way, we support the SDG 15 "Life on land" in particular.
The goal of the Ferry Porsche Congress Center is to hold events in Zell am See-Kaprun according to high ecological principles in order to conserve natural resources and optimise energy efficiency and regional value creation.
In 2013, the FPCC was awarded the Austrian Eco-label. The eco-label for "Green Meetings" and "Green Events" is awarded to organisers who make a special effort to reduce various amounts of waste - both at conferences and at a wide range of events.
Now all organisers have the opportunity to hold a "Green Meeting" or "Green Event" at the FPCC. Together with the Green Meeting Officers of the congress centre, individual criteria such as mobility and offsetting, catering and gastronomy, social aspects and accommodation have been devised, sustainably designed and implemented. In this way, the eco-label can be awarded to events.
Culinary delights: Alpine delight with regional ingredients
Everything that grows and thrives here between glacier, mountain and lake finds its way into the kitchens of dedicated chefs in one way or another: from cranberries and alpine thyme to crayfish and whitefish to fine milk, meat and cheese products from the alpine pastures and farms.
Under the motto "Alpine Delight", the three new gourmet trails "Lake", "Mountain" and "Glacier" with selected addresses invite to discover the culinary diversity of the cuisines in Zell am See-Kaprun. And the stars of all the dishes are the local ingredients, which literally grow at the front door. This saves transport, protects the environment and is also healthy!
Alpine delight thus remains omnipresent and raises awareness of the wonderful natural landscape: in Zell am See-Kaprun, it is the most important and at the same time the most beautiful pantry imaginable. Nature and people who are passionate about their work are an inexhaustible asset and at the same time a role model for others.
The accommodation establishments in Zell am See-Kaprun also put great emphasis on sustainability. For example, several hotels in the region have already been certified with the Austrian Eco-label, the independent seal of approval for environment and quality of the Austrian Federal Ministry for Climate Protection, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology. The measures implemented include energy generation by means of photovoltaic systems, the conscious reduction of plastic waste in the hotels by switching to sustainable packaging materials, and the switch to new cleaning equipment that completely or partially avoids the use of chemicals. Importance is attached to the cooperation with regional producers as well as the provision of regional and seasonal food. In addition, many hotels now offer their guests e-charging stations.
Sustainable shopping: Bründl Sports
Bründl Sports has been climate-neutral since March 2021. The topic of sustainability was also of great importance in the construction of the flagship store. The new Bründl Sports shop is the first sports retailer in Austria certified by the ÖGNI (Austrian Sustainable Building Council) for interior construction and klima:aktiv (climate protection initiative of the Austrian Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology) for building construction.
On the fourth floor of the new Bründl Sports flagship store, the WEITBLICK - LOUNGE.ROOFTOP.BISTRO has been created as a place of culinary enjoyment and relaxation above the rooftops of Kaprun and with a view of the Kitzsteinhorn. The WEITBLICK follows the Bründl Sports sustainability promise to 100% and is completely dedicated to the topics BIOLOGICAL, REGIONAL, SEASONAL.
Cooperation with Pinzgau Milch
Pinzgau Milch Produktions GmbH has been deeply rooted in the region since 1958 and is known for its high-quality dairy products.
Through this cooperation, Zell am See-Kaprun Tourism and Pinzgau Milch can appeal to tradition-conscious guests who would like to discover local and traditional specialities and buy regional products. In addition, the awareness of domestic products from local production is raised and farming as well as the producers are brought closer to the guests.
Above all, continuing the consolidation and constant expansion of the network with regional partners on site is important to us.
In the long term, this cooperation should establish better networking between regional producers, tourism businesses and Pinzgau Milch.
Environmentally friendly print forms
In addition to the increased use of digital information, Zell am See-Kaprun Tourismus GmbH relies on environmentally friendly print media to pass on to guests, landlords and partners. This involves, among other things:
- Paper from sustainable production: Our brochures are printed on sustainable paper wherever possible and thus achieve the PEFC seal of approval. This symbolises our commitment to sustainability and responsibly produced products, as PEFC stands for a transparent and independent monitoring system to verify sustainable forest management based on national standards. Wherever possible, we print in accordance with the "Printed Products" guideline of the Austrian Eco-label.
- Natural cycle: All materials used for various brochures can be easily and safely returned to the recycling loop. Cradle to Cradle Certified™ also guarantees that all materials meet the highest environmental and health standards, all manufacturing processes are carried out using 100% clean, renewable energy and also includes social responsibility towards the printer's employees.
- Regional production: Our print media are printed entirely in Austria - "Printed in Austria". This means local know-how, the added value stays in Austria and we can protect Austrian jobs. In addition, the production routes are short.
- Mineral oil-free printing inks: We make sure that the inks in our print products are exclusively free of mineral oil and additionally free of cobalt. Our printed material is produced on the basis of renewable raw materials.
The print products are also available in digital form and for downloading on our website.