Kaprun in SalzburgerLand Glacier, nature, culinary delights & culture
Zell am See has the lake as main attraction for visitors, and Kaprun’s highlight that excites visitors and holidaymakers is definitely the glacier - the Kitzsteinhorn. The charming village of Kaprun is situated directly at the foot of the majestic mountain with its glacier and the glacier ski area with top snow quality. The village is the region’s centre of leisure sports: this isn’t surprising, because the Kitzsteinhorn attracts people in search of leisure, adventure and sporty activities from all over the world all year round.
A wide range of possibilities
Kaprun is the versatile all-rounder on your holiday: in this holiday resort for the whole family, you can experience the most diverse natural beauties such as the Sigmund Thun Gorge or the magnificent landscape around the high mountain reservoirs. Kaprun also offers culture, excellent cuisine and a diverse relaxation programme for balance - for example at the aqua & sauna world of the Therme Tauern SPA.
Culture, history and spectacle of nature
Kaprun Castle sits enthroned on a small elevation above the village of Kaprun. Almost as if it were guarding the village, it watches over Kaprun: this feeling is not deceptive, because centuries ago Kaprun Castle was actually a fortress and had the task of ensuring the safe defence of the village. Today, the 12th century building is an extraordinary event location and home to various cultural events.
Near Kaprun Castle, you can feel the power of nature at close range: on a hike through the Sigmund Thun Gorge, you can get very close to the roaring waters of the Kapruner Ache. In the past, lumberjacks were at work here and left many traces; today you hike along boardwalks through the gorge and marvel at the power of the water that has created this wonderland over millions of years.
In summer, the Kitzsteinhorn attracts mountain bikers, hikers and families in search of summer snow. The hiking area will also inspire you if you want to learn more about high alpine nature and the Hohe Tauern National Park in Gipfelwelt 3000. In keeping with its name, the Maiskogel family mountain offers plenty of adventures for the whole family: sports, action, games, fun and culinary highlights dominate the Maiskogel in summer and winter. And in the evening, when you are tired from all the exercise in the mountains around Kaprun, the best place to relax is the Tauern SPA and wellness resort.
Top 10 experiences in Kaprun
- Discover the Kitzsteinhorn glacier with the Ice Arena in summer
- Experience a day of skiing in the glacier ski area: long skiing season from autumn to early summer (depending on snow conditions)
- Go hiking at the Kaprun high mountain reservoirs
- Be inspired by Top of Salzburg and the Gipfelwelt 3000 on the Kitzsteinhorn
- Explore the family mountain Maiskogel with Alpine Coaster Maisi Flitzer
- Take part in guided hikes and National Park ranger tours
- Find the courage for a daring Kitzsteinhorn summit tour - "My first 3,000-metre-high peak"
- Set off on a journey through time at Kaprun Castle, the fortress from the 12th century
- Hike through the Sigmund Thun Gorge and marvel at the roaring waters
- Enjoy relaxation and recreation at the Therme Tauern SPA Zell am See-Kaprun