Spartan Race FAQs Everything you need to know about the Spartan Winter Race
An event like the Spartan Race in Zell am See-Kaprun raises many questions. To give you an overview of the most frequently asked questions and to provide you with the most important information, we have created a designated page with FAQs. Here you find all important information about the Spartan Race from 15 to 16 January 2022.
What is so special about a winter race?
Winter races are tougher than normal races. Low temperatures toughen the conditions and you need special equipment. Starting with winter running shoes with a good profile, you should also have suitable clothes to protect against wind, weather and low temperatures.
When do I have to appocimately arrive for the race?
Arrange for arrival approx. 1.5 h before the start. That leaves enough time to find a parking space, to collect your starter kit, to leave your bag at the bag check, to warm up and to ask yourself why you are doing this to yourself!
How do I select the richt starter group for me?
Each starter group consist of 150 to 250 starters. The groups start in intervals of 15 minutes. The best racers compete in the Elite and Age Group Heat. Don’t register for this group if you do not want to compete against the best of the best. Select a start time depending on your level. Do not choose the last starter group if you are not sure that you will accomplish the race within the set time.
What are the rules of the Spartan Race?
- At the Spartan Race, you race against time.
- Referees rate the race; the results are incorporated in the rankings.
- Every obstacle must be taken; failure to do so means a penalty of 30 burpees.
- The timing chip must be worn and the start number must be visible at all times.
- On the day of the race, you must be 16 years of age to participate in a sprint.
- You get a headband with your start number and a timing chip after check-in and you must wear both at all times.
- Handing your start number to another starter is not permitted.
- Spartans don’t cheat – every Spartan accepts these rules.
When will the results of the race be published?
The preliminary results will be published on the race day. The final results and official rankings are available 3 to 4 days after the race. If you have any questions regarding this subject, please contact our time recording and registration teams.
What do I get when I participate?
- A professionally organised race
- Spartan T-shirt and medal - as finisher
- Catering in the finish area and water stations
- 1 x free admission to the Tauern SPA Kaprun
- Timing chip for results & rankings
- Festival Area with top Spartan atmosphere
- Scratches and bruises
- The certainty to be part of the Spartan elite group!
What do I have to bring along for the race?
- A valid photo ID
- Confirmation email with barcode
- Towel and dry, warm clothes
- Water & snacks for the race
- Plenty of willpower, stamina & energy
- A big smile for the winner’s photo
We recommend cross-country or running shoes. For the winter race in Zell am See-Kaprun, footwear should suit the conditions: you run on snow and in part on icy sections. Shoes should have a good profile and, if possible, Gore-Tex insulation. Do NOT run barefooted! A rucksack for beverages is recommended when running longer distances. You should also bring a towel and bags for storing your dirty equipment after the race. Bring weatherproof clothes, Gore-Tex jacket, hat, gloves and warm clothes for after the race. Visit also to the merchandise stall on site and get the optimal equipment there.
Are there showers on site?
You can shower, pamper yourself and lick your wounds after the race at the Hotel Tauern SPA Kaprun between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm. Changing rooms are of course also available.
Is there a Bag-Check?
Yes, there is a facility for leaving your bag before the race and picking it up afterwards. This service is included in the entry fee.
Is there on-site catering?
Catering stations are available along the route as well as in the finish area. Made for Spartans, the offerings are “spartan”. Should you have special preferences or requirements (gels and energy bars), bring your own items for the race but do NOT LEAVE litter along the route. We also recommend plenty of liquids on long distances and high temperatures to prevent dehydration.
Is there a time limit?
No, but there is a cut-off time at the end of the event day. Everyone must have arrived in the finish area and no-one should be on the course at that time. Take your time and finish the race at your pace. Don’t give up, no real Spartan would ever do so. If there is a time limit in exceptional cases, you will be informed about that in the newsletter.
Where can I leave my car?
Prior to the race, you will receive an email from Spartan Race with detailed information about the arrival. A parking fee applies and must be paid locally.
Are spectators permitted?
Spectators, family and friends are of course welcome but there are access restrictions for specific areas. Your friends and family will have a great time and can try one or the other obstacle. Depending on location, an admission fee for the Festival Area may apply.